20 April, 2007

Gapminder - A new Google Tool?

I don't really know what this is.

I found it whilst looking at the Webby awards noiminations for internet 'things of the year'.

It appears to be a organisation that promotes accessible world statistics, which has been bought and taken over by Google (ah, Google. I am I'm afraid, signed up to just about everyhting google there ism from Maps and Groups to Personalised homepage with applications on and Google Sketchup 3D models).

A Gapminder presentation

You can select about 3 variables about national statistics and ontop of that highlight the country's stats, plot lines and refine your data in other ways. It's all very interactive, the kind of thing you'd see in a science museum, and I'm fairly impressed.

These Webby awards, on the other hand ... I hadn't heard of half the stuff that was being voted for and couldn't be bothered to trawl through it all looking for things I had an opinion on. They're a load of marketing rubbish really, aren't they?
Well Jackson.

No comments: