26 February, 2007

Ginger Beer

As well as making my first beef stock, I'm trying out a recipe for Ginger Beer, from a book mum recommended I get, which someone on Freecycle was giving away.

I 'accidentally' put six times the recommended amount of ginger in, and then hastily added half again of water and lemons.
To summarise you chuck ginger and lemon rind into a bucket, boil water and put the remaining lemons in. Then mix that and sugar all together in the bucket. Now take the lemon halves out again. When it gets cool, throw in some yeast and cream of tartar.
Bucket o' beer

Quantities are something like:

  • 4.5 litres water
  • 25g ginger
  • 2 lemons
  • 500g sugar
  • some yeast (forget how much, but I just put the whole packet in)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar

I think I put in 150g ginger (inc. peel, so probably less).

the guy in Brewer's Droop (the best darned homebrew shop in the whole of God-belovin' Bristol) said something about yeast nutrient so I'll chuck a bit of that in in a second. Apparently this evening it should be ready to bottle up (in plastic bottles, as it's volatile and wont to explode if not drunk quickly).

No comments: